Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Rocket Doodle RAWR!!

It's been a mad dash to get paintings done for Boskone this year, among them a plethora of small rocket doodle paintings with inspiration borrowed from legendary space artists John Berkey, John Harris, and Chesley Bonestall. Here's the spread of the small ones so far.  There may be time yet for one more big one, and maybe a couple of small ones... My new painting space has been brilliant to work in.

Shrouded Moon
(10x10", Oils on Canvas board)  Price:  SOLD

This one came out of nowhere, really. I'd had this board drawn up with a circle and a rocket crossing it for about the last six or seven years. I'd put it aside all that time ago when, either I lost the original inspiration or got distracted. I nearly threw the board out when I unearthed it recently, but thought 'what the hell' and started lashing paint on it in an effort to bust my painting block and get the creative juices flowing. It worked!! Kind of love how this turned out. It was inspired by a tiny moon in a much larger John Berkey painting in an old catalog I've got lying around. The inspirational bit of that picture was less than one inch square. Things don't have to be big to inspire big ideas. I've also found a new favourite paint: Buff Titanium/Bleached Titanium...just the thing to add that touch of nostalgic aged tint to what are ostensibly nostalgic paintings.


Evacuation
(5x7", Oils on Canvas board)   Price: SOLD
Not wanting to waste the left over paint on my palette, I grabbed another board to 'destroy'. I've had a bunch of small canvases since around 2007 when I was doing the painting a day project. All of them have been tinted with various colours for backgrounds. I nearly threw those out, too, but like the first painting in this post, I chucked caution to the wind and started experimenting again. Not a bad little piece for a quickly drawn up world and space station. Lots of smooshing with paint, and happy accidents.

Cloud Drifting
(9x12", Oils on Linen Board)  Price: SOLD
Yeah, been watching Star Wars again and am still absolutely in love with the idea of cloud cities. You may have noticed... Had a lot of fun with this one.


Cloud Station
(5x7", Oils on Canvas Board)  Price: SOLD
Got a bit of John Harris, crossed with John Berkey into this one. Another one of those pre-tinted boards I nearly chucked. When I'm working on a bigger work, and waiting for paint to dry on them, swinging into working on one of these mini space epics is kind of 'freeing', creatively. The photos never do them justice, either, sad to say. Really love the happy accidents in this one.


Skirting the Sea of Moons
(9x12", Oils on Linen)  Price:  $ 300.00
Definitely a bit of John Berkey influence in this one. Loved the cool versus warm and the vintage rocket shape. Had a bit of fun with a different colour scheme than the muted tones of the previous paintings.


Scenic Route
(5x7", Oils on Stretched canvas)  Price: SOLD 

This was my initial rocket painting of the current crop. I wanted to paint space without using any black. I think I succeeded. The shadows are actually created from French Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna. It's kind of cute and pretty, but I've having all sorts of experimental painting fun since this one.



Some studio shots of my new painting space....





There are more paintings to come...some more space epics, larger ones, and a couple of new Rover paintings as well. Thanks for dropping by, come back soon.
Cheers, 
Marianne



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home