Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Day 3

Ailing Rose
(5x7", Oil) Price: $100.00
I painted this rose from a photo I took in our friend Nick's backyard. It was a well-formed, gorgeous bloom, except for the brown edges and spots that marred its perfection. Hence the title, 'Ailing Rose'.

I love roses, so you'll probably see a fair few of them on this page as time goes by. Elegant, imperious, romantic, and commanding. They have such history, and a history of lore spreading behind them all the way back into antiquity that makes fascinating reading. They appear as symbols in many a heraldic form, religious symbol, and warrior's banner - be it as a symbol of strength or of purity. Both are represented in the Rose's pantheon of symbology. Mind you, it's my birth flower, so I'm partial, I guess.

Anyway, I painted this rose on a 5x7" gessoed panel. The smoother tooth of the panel was a joy to paint on, but the paint itself is still drying four days later. I took it outside in the sun and photographed it - now it's back to the drying shelf for this little daub. Speaking of which, I always have a fun time painting the foliage around the blooms. Even some of the Burnt Sienna based background still shows through in spots.

So far, I seem to limit myself to about 5-8 colours on the palette while I've been painting these, and mixing from those what I need to. Painting time itself, seems to be rounding out to about two hours per painting. I used a size 4 soft Filbert brush, and size 2 Round brush to complete this piece. Filberts are my favourite brushes!

See you tomorrow,
Marianne

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Kidd said...

I'd love to see the original of this. The handling of the paint is just perfect -- very confident. Keep this up.

January 8, 2007 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi, Tom.

Thanks for the nice words. I really enjoyed painting this one.

Marianne

January 8, 2007 at 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home