Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Saturday, February 25, 2023

Little space epics for Boskone...

 Since Christmas, I've been working on some paintings for our first show of the year, Boskone, a science fiction convention in Boston, which was last weekend. Now that the show is over, I can post them here. At least the little ones. The three big paintings that I created will each have their own post in coming days. Meanwhile, here are they are. Some of the designs were created from thumbnails I worked on over the Thanksgiving weekend whilst at another local convention. 

"Thread the Needle"
(8x8", Oils on linen, Framed)     PRICE: $450.00  SOLD
I had a blast painting this one. The design is somewhat out of my comfort zone and it took me nearly an hour to shape and doodle the circular, non-traditional space station. I decided that it was a 'thumb your nose at the station master' by the maverick pilots when they attempted to fly directly through the center of the station for fun. The invisible defensive shields that protect the station have a 'hole' in the very center and it takes a skilled pilot to navigate it. More than one ship has lost 'skin' by scraping by the inner station shields whilst attempting it. So it is called 'threading the needle' by one and all. The effervescent blast of nebula colours adds to the joy of the situation and frames the space station nicely. 
 
 
"Quarantine Caboose" 
(5x7", Oils on linen, Framed)  Price: $240.00  SOLD
I loved painting a blue planet with a barely there ring and moon. Possibly Neptune, but maybe not quite. The colours are retro 1950s into the 1960s and that was what was on my palette at the time. Another thumbnail from that Thanksgiving weekend. And also didn't turn out quite what I was originally envisioning at all. Those little designs rarely do. Also, in this instance, I was wondering why a space station might need of a little tag-along companion. The thought that came to mind was perhaps it was a quarantine pod. Hence the name 'Quarantine Caboose'. 
 
 
"Course Change"
(6x8", Oils on linen, Framed)  Price: $300.00 SOLD
This was originally intended to be an atmosphere composition, but quickly turned to a 'space' shot among moons.

 
"Shadow Base Launch"
(5x7", Oils on Linen, Framed)  Price: $240.00  SOLD 
This little gem revisited the colour scheme from one of my previous little paintings, 'Polar Drift'. I loved the colours so much that I just took a canvas, drew a moon, put in a thing 'ring' and moon and called it a planet. I painted all of that and then realized that I hadn't actually added anything technical. So I doodled in the space station, wonkily channeling the famous SF artist, John Berkey, and then added the rocket. Voila...instant story and action. 
 
 
 
"Indigo Station"
(6x6", Oils on Linen, Framed)  Price: $ 320.00  SOLD
The photo does not do the subtle colours justice for this little painting. It's a gem. And the colour theme lends itself to the 'indigo' of the title. The original painting glows. I sure wish I could share the glow and shine of my little paintings, but this will have to do. 
 
There will be more to come of my paintings. Some will be space epics, big and small, and maybe there will be new things to paint. I want to challenge my comfort zone a lot this coming year. I don't think I've done too badly at this point. Meanwhile, thanks for stopping by, 
Cheers,
Marianne
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home