Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Another Robot...and a bird

The Lookout
(11x14", Oil)    Price: $600.00   SOLD
This robot painting is a bit of a departure from my usual tin toy whimsical studies. It still has a touch of whimsy and is based on a robot sculpture by the award winning artist and sculptor, Vincent Villafranca. We've been seeing Vincent at Illuxcon in Altoona, PA, every November for the last three years, where he has exhibited his sculptures to an enthusiastic audience and also purchased some of my bird paintings for his wife, Michelle. Vincent's life long love affair with science fiction and fantasy coupled with his fascination with metal casting, bronze in particular, has produced some brilliant fanciful sculptures, robot and rats included. He does a live bronze pour each year at Illuxcon to the amazement of a spellbound audience. Last November I had an idea to include one of Vincent's robot sculptures in my pantheon of robot paintings...with a bird of course, sticking to the current theme. So he let me take some photos and I came away with the concept for 'THE LOOKOUT'. This painting can be seen one of two ways, at least. Either the robot is striding stealthily out of the grass and the bird is his lookout, or the robot has rusted in a walking position and the bird is using this unusual prop as a lookout post for predators. Any viewer may have another view of course. 

 This is the final drawing for 'THE LOOKOUT'. I finally settled on a little rusty colored Bewicks Wren for the featured bird. He seems to have the right look about him, and he blends in with the robot just a bit.


This is my easel set up...ready to begin the painting. Not sure how the wildlife book got in the shot. 

 While I was waiting for paint to dry on 'THE LOOKOUT', I noticed the leftover paint on the palette. I pulled out a couple of small boards and started doodling...hence the names of the paintings below. Nostalgic colors for 'BLUE' by way of the blue, white and orange gold. And 'SATURN' doodle was influenced by a book on Ivan Aivazovsky, a Russian landscape/seascape painter from the 19th century. It was lying on the floor of the studio by Bob's easel and I could make out the colors and shapes but not the details. My reading glasses go blurry beyond three feet. So I made up the Saturn rocket from those impressions of color.

Rocket Doodle Blue
(4x6", Oil)      Price:  $45.00  SOLD


Rocket Doodle Saturn
(4x6", Oil)         Price: $45.00   SOLD

These are some very different results using the same palette. The same palette that I used for my previous painting, 'MECHANIZED HARVEST'.

So, thanks for stopping by. I've already started the preliminaries for the next painting...
Cheers
Marianne

You can go and look at Vincent Villafranca's brilliant sculptures and photos of his bronze casting process at:
www.villafrancasculpture.com

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home