Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Day 7

Shy Squid
(5x7", Oil) Price: $100.00 SOLD This little chap has been lingering in the back of my mind for the last year or two, as a subject or centrepiece of a still life project. So I set him up against a blue oceany backcloth and set to work. Since he's only about three inches tall, the painting called for a smaller canvas, hence the 5x7" size. Also, too, the little squid is of a shy nature, so a more intimate size of painting helps to showcase his element.

It didn't help that I had an unexpected three hour interuption in the middle of this work. By the time that was over, I had the unique task of trying to rebond with my subject - took about half an hour of noodling paint around before I hit my stride again. I like the outcome, despite being hit sideways by the interuption. My mother calls it 'character building'; I call it 101 Painting Obstacle Course practice.

Anyway, I used the following limited palette: Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Yellow Light, Titanium White, and Transparent Gold Ochre. This is the exact same palette as the Gargoyle painting in Day 5, but with a radical different coloured result. You'd be amazed at the array of colours that can be mixed from a limite palette. People are stunned when I admit that I haven't used a tube 'Black' paint in many years. I prefer to mix my blacks - from warm to cool - using only Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna. A little Titanium white added to the mix provides a myriad of grays to play with. Either 'burnt' or 'raw' 'umbers' or siennas' can produce an almost limitless array of deep shadowy darks and 'blacks' - all it requires is a bit of experimentation. And my combination of Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna produces a deep velvety black that's difficult to find in a preproduced tube. I just haven't looked lately.

Anyway, see you tomorrow!
Marianne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home