Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Monday, February 18, 2008

Moonlight Flight

Moonlight Flight
(8x10", Oil) Price: $145.00 SOLD

I had this idea at the gym when I was thinking about the pointy rocket ships I wanted to paint in the two previous posts. I bravely looked up some viking boat references and with the distant memory of the airship from the movie "The Mummy Returns" set to drawing one up. The ship is empty while it sails the moon paths, ready to carry the viewers dreams and hopes aloft with it. Unfortunately, the photo doesn't do it justice: a lot of soft detail was lost in the cloud highlights and the moon. And I tried to colour match as much as possible.

This is painted thinly and took two coats of paint to get the sky right, because French Ultramarine is a transparent. I noodled that around with Cobalt Blue and Alizarin Crimson with a dash of Titanium White to create this simple background. A tiny bit of Cadmium Yellow Hue was mixed in with the highlights, because the moon doesn't always reflect a cold white light. There is warmth in the shadows, as is usual with moonlight, no matter how cold or slightly warm that light may be. I blocked in the ship in the first session, but completed it in the second session in detail when the first layers were dry. As usual, I made great use of my big fluffy blending brushes.

See you next time,
Cheers,
Marianne

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is really neat.

February 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Fascinating to get some insights into your process of creation! I love the idea of the big fluffy blending brushes. :)

February 18, 2008 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot. I have plans for that balloon ship in a future painting. Stay tuned! :-D

Marianne

February 18, 2008 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi Rosemary,

Ta. I just lurv my big fluffy blending brushes. I get frustrated with having to tweezer off the loose ones from the painting. Sigh. I'm currently painting another cosmic whale epic will post it later in the week. Its progress got interrupted by our weekend away to Boston. :-D

Cheers,
Marianne

February 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger Gretel said...

I am not surprised it sold, it is simply gorgeous.
Thank you for the link BTW, consider you added to mine.
I am just rediscovering oils at the moment, have never heard of blending brushes before, any chance of a piccy of one? :)

February 20, 2008 at 3:52 AM  
Blogger Merisi said...

Beautiful painting, I'd love to sail up there in your beautiful airship!

March 14, 2008 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Thanks, Vienna',

And thanks for stopping by.

Cheers,
Marianne

March 14, 2008 at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home