Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Day 38

Black Capped Chickadee
(4x5, Oil) Price: $110.00 SOLD

Okay, I took a sideways detour to paint a few birds this week. Don't worry, I'll get back to waves and mermaids soon. Anyway, this little chap caught my eye, and then the cute factor cut in. So I just had to paint him. This is a dark little painting, and unfortunately the photography wasn't the greatest: it was artic cold outside when we took the shot and my knuckles were aching something awful. I was trying to photograph a whole bunch of stuff at one time, so this one just slipped through. I will attempt to remedy that really soon, now that the weather has warmed up considerably.

Palette consisted of: Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Light, Titanium White, Transparent Gold Ochre. And whatever was left on the palette from the Moon Fantasy painting from the day before went into the smudgy background behind the bird. Brushes were: Size 4 Synthetic Filbert, 1/2" Flat, and a Size 1 Round.

As usual, this painting was done in one sitting, 'alla prima'. This means that the painting was completely still wet while I was putting the finishing touches on it. Wet in Wet technique in oil painting takes a while to master, to control the paint, but it was the first way of painting that I learned when I was 12 years old. This painting a day thing helps me to regain not only a sense of purpose and achievement, but helps me to revive my neglected control over oil paints in situ. Therefore, every painting is a learning curve or a nudge to forgotten ways of doing things. At least for me. I hope you're enjoying this journey as much as I am. As gruelling as it may be some days for me, I enjoy it just the same.

Thanks for stopping by,
Marianne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home