Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Monday, April 30, 2007

Day 54

Spiritual Light
(8x10", Oil) Not For Sale

I discovered a new author - Victoria Laurie - two weeks ago. Her books are about a psychic who reluctantly gets involved with murder investigations. I found these books compelling, and also that they punched my own intuitive buttons on several levels. I sat down and wrote an extensive review of the aforementioned protagonist and each book in turn - which you can read on my Muse du Jour blog at http://musedujour.blogspot.com/ Together with that inspiration, came the fully formed idea for this painting. I nixed trying to paint this image in a multi-session attempt, or in a greater size: I'm having enough trouble starting the small one-session paintings I post here. Also, I haven't painted a human figure in a good long while as they are quite demanding to do. I tried last week to start painting this image - on a smaller canvas, as the support I wanted to use wasn't ready - but it wasn't working out, and I scrubbed it out three times. Deciding I wasn't ready to paint it then, and being dog tired, I gave it up till this week. So, with the right sized canvas, and sick of endlessly painting the darn thing in my head, brushstroke by brushstroke, I painted it yesterday. With a migraine...

Still it isn't too bad, in spite of the washed out face - trying to photograph a dark glossy surface is hell.

Palette consisted of a slightly larger array than usual: Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine, Cadmium Yellow Hue, Titanium White, Cadmium Red Light, Permanent Rose, and Cobalt Violet. Brushes were a 1/2" Filbert, a Size 2 Round, a Size 6 Round, a Size 4 Filbert, and a big fluffy blending brush.

Whew, now that's over, now I can get back to painting something else. The universe wasn't going to let me paint any other subjects until I'd gotten this one off my chest.

So, see you tomorrow!
Marianne

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom Kidd said...

All the important things are right about this: the composition, the color, the idea and that rich dark area and the near maroons work very nicely. I like the slightly washed out, over exposed-looking face. Her face could even have a bit of a glow to it. I'd really love to see this as a fully developed painting on a large scale. Sorry for being so pushy.

Oh, nice hands too.

May 3, 2007 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Thank you, Tom. :-D

I suppose I could work it up into something larger later, but it took so much effort just to get this one done, that I don't think I'll start it right away. :-)

Painting anything larger than 8x10", that is complicated to paint or compose is giving me difficulties at this time. My momentum has stalled a bit, and I'm finding it difficult to get it back when it comes to painting.

But, I will persevere. Thanks for stopping by. Your words of encouragement are always lovely to hear.

Cheers
Marianne

May 4, 2007 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for the input on `Passing Sentence'. Looks like everyone's having fun with that one!

Cheers

David

May 10, 2007 at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home