Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Day 51

Courting Budgies
(6x8", Oil) Price: $120.00


I am getting ambitious!

I found out last week that budgerigars - which are native to Central Australia - are called Parkeets over here in the USA. A bit of confusion for me, I assure you, when confronting a photo of a 'parakeet', I thought "Well, that looks like a budgie, to me."

Anyway, this is a contrived setting in this painting. I found two delightful references for budgies - one male and one female - and placed them together in the framework of some Cherry Blossoms that bloom in our garden every Spring. The painting itself is a bit brighter and clearer than produced here, and I'm quite proud of it. The elements themselves, work well together, although I thought something was missing in the top left hand corner before I finished it. I thought of adding some floating blossom petals behind the birds, but concluded that that would just make the painting look too busy. In the end, I just darkened that corner with some Ultramarine and Yellow, to complete the framework and lead the eye back to the birds.

Palette included: Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine, Cadmium Lemon, Permanent Rose, Transparent Gold Ochre, Titanium White, and a bit of Cobalt Blue. Brushes were: a very raggedy 1/2" Flat, a Size 4 Flat, a Size 8 Round, a Size 4 Filbert, and a very pointy small round one.

See you tomorrow,
Marianne

6 Comments:

Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Yep, this is the best one yet. Your rich use of color is your strong point here but I love the composition as well. Keep at this.

Now that Spring is . . . well, sort of here, you're going to have plenty of opportunity to go out and do some bird watching and photography. That reminds me, I need to get a zoom lens for my newer camera. The present one is for the, I mean, *not* for the birds.

April 10, 2007 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi, Tom!
Thanks a bunch. I love rich colour, and the composition worked just like it did when I saw it in my mind. Thank god. Too many go pear-shaped. :-D

Yep, I'm looking forward to getting out and taking photos of birds and blooms - as soon as Spring gets its ass into gear. We're expecting sleet and snow again on Thursday. Ugh. I wonder if I can get a zoom lens for Bob's SLR camera?

Ta for stopping by.
Cheers
Marianne

April 10, 2007 at 10:39 PM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

G'day Marianna,

Didn't know they were called parakeets there.

I guess you'll have to explain the cultural significance of the great Strine expression `budgie smugglers''.

By the way, would you like to be the guest judge of this week's Blog Awards? See my blogpost titled `You Be The Judge' and let me know.

Keep smiling
David
http://david-mcmahon.blogspot.com/

April 16, 2007 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi David,

I trotted over to your blog and answered you there. :-D

Yep, the original colours of budgies is the limegreen/canary yellow combination. The other colours weren't introduced until they were bred in captivity about 100 years ago in Europe. Now they've got some lovely blueish ones - but no pink ones yet...

Cheers
Marianne

April 17, 2007 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger sandy said...

Love the courting budgies. Just beautiful.

May 21, 2007 at 6:29 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Thanks again, Sandy. I do so enjoy painting birds. :-D

Again, thanks for stopping by.

Cheers
Marianne

May 21, 2007 at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home