Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Friday, March 30, 2007

Day 47

Bottlebrush Leaves
(4x5", Oil) Price: $45.00

Well, it wasn't my intention to paint this image this week. However, I was tossed a challenge from David McMahon in Australia in his attempt at tag-team blogging. He took the photo and posted it and the challenge on his blog, my task was to paint it and post the result on my blog. Not sure what happens after that. It kind of resembled working with an Art Director, though. Sorry the photo doesn't do this sketch justice. Maybe he'll send me a flower to paint next time, or birds...

Anyway, David is a photojournalist and carries his camera EVERYWHERE. He and his observations on life, news and the world around us, can be found on his excellent blog 'Authorblog' at http://david-mcmahon.blogspot.com/ Go tell him what you think...

The palette: Cobalt Blue, Cadmium Yellow Light, Titanium White, and a teeny bit of Alizirin Crimson to dab into the background and do the redish highlights on the leaves and stem. Pity both have been kind of lost in the digital translation.

Meanwhile, I got rockets and birds, and lots and lots more to paint...
See you tomorrow,
Marianne

6 Comments:

Blogger david mcmahon said...

Hi Marianne,

I think it's great - and the subtle reddish highlight works for me.

Thank you for accepting the challenge. I'm just about to mention this on my blog, so check back when you can.

The first time Allan Cook and I did a tag-team blogpost, he got more than 100 readers as a result of that single effort.

I would love to see that work for you. You deserve lots of attention.

Shall send you a flower or a bird the next time. Oh, from memory there is an interesting shot at Southgate of a gull spreading its wings in majestic fashion - I posted it on my blog in the first week of October. Let me know if it works for you - when you've finished your other commitments, of course!

Take care

David

March 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi David,

Glad you approve!! Thanks for the support. Much appreciated, believe me. :-D

I'll check out the gull, but I've got quite a few photos of them in action and standing around. :-D On our honeymoon in the Big Sur, 9 years ago now, we took some toast scraps from breakfast and threw them up in the air for the gulls. Then we stood underneath and took photos. They were kind to us and didn't drop anything nasty on top of us. Got some brilliant photos from that beach at varying times of day. :-D

Cheers, mate
Marianne

March 30, 2007 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

Hi Marianne,

Glad the gulls didn't drop anything nasty on you!

Did you see Deborah Gamble's wonderful comment about your painting - she posted it on my blog a little while ago.

More power to you

David

March 31, 2007 at 4:10 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Hi Marianne, I'm glad you did the tag-team post with David. I enjoyed looking through your archives, my favorites are Old Fashioned Roses from Jan 23, Sandra's Gargoyle from Feb 11, and White Peacock from Mar 22. Beautiful!

Stacy

March 31, 2007 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

HI Stacy,

Thanks for stopping by! And thanks also for your fine compliments on my work. You have good taste, lady: those are some of my best work. :-D

Drop by again, sometime. Please do. :-)

Cheers
Marianne

March 31, 2007 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

David,

Thanks for your unparalleled support, dude! Much appreciated! And yes, I spotted Deb's comment this morning.

It takes a lot to stand out as an artist. After 30 years of painting in oil - I learned to paint from my Grandma when I was 12-13 years old - I'm only beginning to glimpse my muse. Flowers and birds! Who would have thought? But I'm told that they and water are the best things I paint. Suits me more these days, I guess. :-)

Take care
Marianne

March 31, 2007 at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home