Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Monday, March 26, 2007

Day 44

Oregon Sea Lion
(6x8", Oil) Price: $100.00

And now for something completely different...

I wanted to take a breather yesterday and do something fairly quick. I flipped through our photos from Oregon from a few years back and discovered the bay seals and sea lions all over again. Bob and I stayed at Newport in Oregon, on the coast ,and visited the 'Cannery Row' like waterfront in the old town. Below one of the piers was a floating platform that a about half a dozen or more extrovert sea lions came and lounged upon for the attentive audience above. They sunned themselves and struck poses of attitude in vying for good positions, and were quite often very funny doing so. Bob sketched, and I took photos with both of our cameras. This was one of them. Don't you love the arrogant 'here I am, aren't I beautiful?' pose of this chap?

So here I've rendered him in paint. The result is kind of stark, but all of the smoodgy detail is centred in his face and whiskers.

The palette: Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Cadmium Lemon, Cadmium Yellow Hue, Burnt Sienna, Titanium White, and Transparent Gold Ochre. Brushes: Size 6 Filbert, Size 1 Round, and a 1/2" Flat.

Back to birds tomorrow!
Cheers
Marianne

2 Comments:

Blogger david mcmahon said...

On ya, Marianne

That definitely has my seal of approval!

Now, quick as a flash, go to my blog to see your next challenge.

Cheers

David

March 27, 2007 at 4:57 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

David,
I dropped by for a look, and what a nice photo of Bottlebrush leaves you took for me! :-D Okay, give me a day or so to get my act together before I apply paint and toss it back into your lap.

For those reading this, David has opted to give me a challenge in tag-team blogging. He took a photo for me, and now I have to paint it and post it. :-D Could be interesting. To see the challenge, go see David's blog at: http://david-mcmahon.blogspot.com/

More soon, 'pictures at 11".

Marianne

March 27, 2007 at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home