Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Day 56

The Puddleduck Family
(6x8", Oil) Price: $250.00 SOLD


Well, I've been trying to get back into doing several paintings a week, but it's been difficult with intermittent distractions. However, I managed to paint this little family of ducks... The original is a bit brighter than this image - for some reason, images post a bit darker on Blogger.

Anyway, it was a single session work, working wet paint into wet paint, so I got to smoodge the background and feathers to my heart's content.

The palette was made up of the usual suspects: Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine, Cadmium Yellow Hue, Alizirin Crimson, and Titanium White. As usual, I paintin on a prepared and dry tinted surface: the Burnt Sienna, Titanium White, mixed and blended together.

What I haven't mentioned in the past, is the type of oil medium I use. For the last several years I've been using linseed oil with a dryer in it. Commercially it's called "Drying Linseed Oil" put out by Winsor and Newton. If I need to make the drying time faster, I add a little English Turpentine.

Anyway, another farm animal tomorrow.
Cheers
Marianne

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Your paint handling on this is especially nice but you've made excellent color choices too. This reminds me a little of Landseer's work. For such a simple piece you've got some sophisticated thinking, or possibly just very good instincts, going into this.

May 19, 2007 at 11:56 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Gee, thanks, Tom. :-)

I quite like Landseer's paintings. And I've always been a fan of dynamic light and shade: chiarscuro. A bit dutch masterish. I've always like their lighting and drama.

Thanks for stopping by, Tom.
Cheers
Marianne

May 20, 2007 at 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home