Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Day 46

Reach
(6x8", Oil) Price: $120.00 SOLD

Well, it's 'pointy rocket week' in the Plumridge/Eggleton household this week. Bob has to paint some classic space scenes for his own Painting a Day blog, Bob's ART du Jour (see link at left), at the request of Roq La Rue Gallery in Seattle. They are having a big science fiction show next month, and the curator wanted to some small classic pieces to fill out Bob's display, and in general. Those pointy rockets certainly are popular. I suppose they speak to a lot of us who were born just before or during the 'space race' era. I remember watching a lot of movies as a kid, that had those sleek and wonderful rockets ferrying men and women into space. You could almost hear the whispers of people's dreams as they watched. Something to strive towards, and reach for their dreams of doing something important and impossible; reaching out to touch the stars; and wanting to get out and explore those stars. There are times today when I can still reach out and touch my own personal feelings about those visions, even though many labour under the burdens of everyday life. I am not alone in this. With the paintings that Bob and I do, we can keep the dreams alive somewhat - for us and for others.

So here is my offering. Possibly not as streamlined as I might have wished, but it satisfied the vision I woke up with yesterday morning. Hope it reaches you too.

The palette was: Cobalt Blue, Permanent Rose, Cadmium Lemon, Titanium White. Yeah, I know - 'girlie colours'. Brushes included: a Size 6 Round, 1/2" Filbert, and a Size 4 Flat.

Anyway, I'll get back to birds real soon now.
See you tomorrow,
Marianne

7 Comments:

Blogger david mcmahon said...

Hi Marianne,

A real case of `reach for the stars'. A real retro look for the rocket, too!

By the way, did you get a chance to look at the picture I posted specifically for you on my blog? It's the shot of the bottlebrush - do have a look when you have time!

Cheers

David

March 29, 2007 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi David,

Yep, I dropped in and saw your dappled bottlebrush leaves. :-D I answered your comment on the day you left it. Didn't you see it? :-D

After a putting out a few business fires, and putting a bomb under my beloved's butt this week regarding painting, I'm now getting around to painting the leaves. Honest. :-)

Cheers
Marianne

March 29, 2007 at 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT!!

IT IS FASCINATING HOW CALLING IT REACH AND THE USE OF "GIRLY COLORS" CONTRIBUTE TO A PICTURE FULL OF GOOD VIBES.

A SUCCESSFUL MISSION (FLYING HIGH ENOUGH TO SEE THE MOON IN THE BACKGROUND). THE COLOURS ARE SOFT AND INSPIRE OPTIMISTIC PLEASANT FEELINGS. THIS ROCKET IS GOING FOR IT.



AS OPPOSED TO BOB'S USE OF DARKER COLOURS AND A LANDING ON AN UNKNOWN

MOON. OOO, DANGER, MAYBE EVEN AMAZON WOMEN OF THE MOON?

March 29, 2007 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi, THE,

Thanks for the uplifting compliments on my little rocket! I like it when my art can be called 'inspirational'. :-D

Bob's and my artwork are diametrically opposite: colours, themes, styles and subjects. They compliment each other without competing, which is kind of nice. :-)

THanks for stopping by,
Cheers
Marianne

March 29, 2007 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON! YEAH! Fun segment in an otherwise hokey comedy anthology. But they got it perfect with the sets, suits and all. And Joey Travolta and, Vasquez Rocks in California!

March 29, 2007 at 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy Marianne,

I dig your rocket! I like your color choices. I used to build and fly a lot of model rockets (Estes, Centuri, etc.) and this image reminds me of the illustrations in those catalogues. It makes rocketry look exciting and FUN.

Good job!

JOhn

March 29, 2007 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi back at ya, John!

Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like my little rocket. :-D It feels nostalgic in these colours, and that was the intention. My memories of rockets that look like this are generally in retro colours as well as content. :-D

Cheers to you and Kim,
Marianne

March 29, 2007 at 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home