Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Friday, February 2, 2007

Day 25

Baby Elephant Walk
(5x7", Oil) Price: $85.00 SOLD Unfortunately this reproduction hasn't come out the best. It's snowy and gray today, so I had to take a photo of this little painting under lamps in the studio. It was still too wet to lay on the scanner.

Anyway, I found this little chap in the toy section of the craft store the same day I found the tiny plastic grapes I painted yesterday. He's not terrifically anatomically correct, but he has the cutest expression on his face. Like life is a joy of discovery to him. I positioned him on the canvas so he had plenty of space to bounce into if he needed to. Seriously. And, I wanted to practice a little foreshortening technique.

The painting style is deliberately on the loose side. The palette consisted of four of the usual suspects: French Ultramarine, Burnt Sienna, Titanium White and Transparent Gold Ochre. The canvas was previously tinted with the same colours as the canvas from yesterday.

See you tomorrow,
Marianne

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Keep this up. You have a solid sense of composition and I love the rich colors. I like how you're applying the paint too.

February 4, 2007 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Thank you, Sir Tom! I really like painting rich drapey backgrounds that make the subject 'pop'. I think I'm cultivating a rich sense of drama. Thanks regarding my compositions: it's mostly instinctive with a few basics from Da Vinci and a couple of other master artists. I really feel it if the placement is 'off' in a painting - particularly my own. :-D

I'm getting lots of practice with the paint. I do love oil: it's the first real painting medium I was taught - other than finger painting acrylics in school.

Thanks again, Tom.
Cheers
Marianne

February 5, 2007 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Michael Dooney said...

I like this one, super sweet. It really captures those early fumbling elephantish steps ;)

February 6, 2007 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi Michael,

Thanks! The little guy's a real cutie.

Thanks for stopping by.
Cheers
Marianne

February 6, 2007 at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home