Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Day 57

The Grass is Always Greener
(6x8", Oil) Price: $100.00
I loved the look on this goat's face: very paintable.

I took a few different elements and placed them together in a new context. This was all painted in a single sitting. However, if I was doing this as a larger, multi-session work, then I would take several steps in glazing the fur on the goat to create the layering look. Also, I'd take more care with the flowers - in this case peonies. I did have fun smoodging the background as per usual.

The palette consited of: Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine, Titanium White, Sap Green, Transparent Gold Ochre, Cadmium Yellow Hue, and Permanent Rose.

I think I'll go back to painting birds tomorrow.
Cheers
Marianne

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU DO MARVELOUS BEASTS AND BIRDIES.

COLOUR, BODY POSITIONING, COMPOSITION ALL LEAD TO A PIECE OF WORK THAT I CALL ART.

YOU MENTIONED IN YOUR EARLIER COMMENTS ON SPACE SHIPS THAT BOB DOES BETTER ON THEM THEN YOU DO, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A WORK WHERE THE BOTH OF YOU COMBINE YOUR STRENGTHS FOR AN INSPIRING WORK, MAYBE THE ARK OF SPACE LANDING ON A PLANET!

May 21, 2007 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Thanks so much, Ira. :-D I'm working up to doing another little bitty bird piece whose working title is "Got My Grump On", just at the minute.

I'm not sure a collaboration would work with Bob. He paints faster than I do, and we have differing styles. I suppose I could give it a go by myself. It'd be an interesting large work for a later date. :-)

Cheers
Marianne

May 21, 2007 at 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did this IN ONE SITTING!?!?! One bloody sitting?!?!?

Oh Mare, you are so talented. I am gobsmacked at the absolute beauty of your paintings. And in such a small scale, some of them. Wow.

Have been having a ball working my way back through all you've posted. Slowly. To savour.

Please, please please tell me that you'd consider selling prints of the originals... Matthew's fallen in love with the budgies 8-).

Thank you also for detailing what techniques and colours you have used for a painting. It's things like this that restore my faith in the internet and why it exists.

Love you heaps and miss you heaps cuz.

Annie

May 23, 2007 at 7:04 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi Annie!!

I learned to paint a painting in one sitting when Grandma Plumridge first taught me: I was too impatient at 12 y.o. to wait too long before finishing it. :-D However, I find I really like working small: a. I get it finished faster, and b. I don't get lost halfway through and give up. I've abandoned larger works because of major interuptions and not able to get time or inspiration to finish them. :-) Also, using big brushes helps. :-D

Doing this project has helped my confidence in painting, no end. Improved out of sight, according to some fellow professionals. Even sold a few. :-)

I'll see if I can print out a decent copy of the budgies for Matthew and put it in the box I'm getting together to you. I don't suppose you could use any rubber stamps and stuff, could you? Got some Pastel Journals for Peter, as well - Bob was chucking them and I rescued them for Peter. :-)

Meanwhile, miss you too!
Love and hugs
Mari

May 23, 2007 at 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mare,

I'm a bit of a rubber stamp tart ;-)

Yes please, I would love to give any stamps a welcoming home! I am currently in Hog heaven tonight as I not only did Matthew nail his Canberra Boys Grammar I/V and has been accepted, but my super sub of American craft mags arrived today!! Weeee!

Matthew has chosen a rather in your face blue, which is why he liked the budgies..... Gracie thinks the goat is the best, possibly because it starts with a 'g'. Sigh. Little girls...

Waiting anxiously for the next painting!

Love Annie

May 24, 2007 at 5:13 AM  
Blogger B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

WOW! These pic's are brilliant!

:@}

May 24, 2007 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi, B.T.Bear!

Thanks! And thanks for stopping by!

Cheers
Marianne

May 24, 2007 at 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home