Daub du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. More of which can be seen at my website, 'MariannePlumridgeart.com', and also my Writing Blog, 'Muse du Jour'. These sites are in the links section of this page. This site began life as a painting a day blog in 2007. However that project has now passed, but I still find myself painting in that way. So this site will now be the showcase my new paintings as inspired by those previous efforts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Day 58

Got My Grump On
(Northeastern Bluebird)
(4x5", Oil) Price: $160.00 SOLD


I painted this a couple of days ago. I wasn't terrifically happy with how it turned out, but it has grown on me since then. It's a very quick - for me, that is - painterly sketch of a fluffed up Northeastern Bluebird. Okay, so I think fluffed up birds are so cute - so sue me. It's probably a girl thing. Anyway, this little chap had such grumpy expression on his face when I first saw the photo, all I could think of was 'Got My Grump On' - hence the title. I changed the bird's circumstances and placed him in some foilage I took reference shots of two weeks ago in a friend's backyard.

Using the usual pretinted canvas, my palette consisted of: Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Cadmium Lemon, Cobalt Blue, and Titanium White. I used a Size 2 Round fine brush, a Size 2 Flat, a Size 4 Filbert, and a Size 8 Filbert by way of brushes.

I do like painting birds. There's another budgie one in the mix, but I'm not sure where my muse is taking me at the moment. I guess we'll see.

Cheers
Marianne

PS: There's a new link on my links list today. My beautiful cousin Annie has a blog called Dyed To The Bone, and it is dedicated to her own extensive creative pursuits and her lovely family. Why don't you stop by for a look...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ratsacre said...

To use a cliche, "What a mean little mo'fo'." Seriously cute, but with a serious attitude. Kids roared with laughter at the title. This'll probably be repeated at school....

Sorry I haven't responded, we got a new computer and I've been offline for a few days.... Yes our postal addie is the same. Talk some more soon..

Love Annie

May 30, 2007 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

An artist friend dubbed this little guy: 'the bluebird of evil'. Not so! He's just grumpy. :-)

Another artist friend used to have a bird who would look just like that at times, and they dubbed him 'The Sontaran Bird" - from Doctor Who. :-D

Glad the kids enjoyed him.

Love
Mari

May 31, 2007 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Ratsacre said...

The Sontaran Bird, snort!

Wow, that brings back memories. Actually, it also looks like the kind of face I used to pull when I used to take my glasses off and still try to see. Mum used to demand "What are you glaring at!?!?!" I wasn't glaring, I was trying to see!

Mebbe the poor little guy just needs his specs...

June 1, 2007 at 5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home